My current project is a Captain America Belt based on the original The Avengers movie. This belt has eight pouches (though I am only making six of them). To save time and hopefully make them all consistent, I decided to mass produce them, doing each step six times before moving to the next one.
Sounds great, right? Not if you’re me!
The observant reader will notice that the left (correct) piece is larger than the piece on the right. Somehow for the sides of the belt pouches I mixed up the size, cutting the original pattern piece instead of my modded, larger one. Not only did I cut out TWELVE of these fuckers (a pouch has two sides, after all), I also sewed them down onto 12 pieces of the fabric. It was only when things didn’t line up as I was trying to fit everything together that I noticed. AAUGH!!
There are a number of ways this could have been avoided. In order for some good to come out of this, here are my tips for preventing this in the future.
- Clearly mark pattern pieces and/or destroy unneeded ones
- Double check the fit after the first piece was sewn, rather than the 12th
- Notice that the seam allowance on the top and bottom were larger than the sides (I did notice this), and then DON’T excuse it as something that I must have done on purpose (it was not on purpose)
- Keep better notes on an in progress project, so when you pick it up again a few weeks later you know things like dimensions, whether a pattern piece was modified, and what step you stopped on.
There you go, a lesson in Common Sense 101!