Red Sonja – Gloves

The first thing that I worked on for Red Sonja was the gloves.  I’ve never made gloves before, so I did a lot of googling before deciding on an approach. Originally I wanted to use a heavily interfaced stretch pleather, but I couldn’t find the right thing at the store, and my samples came in too slow from Spandex House. Plus after making a mockup in some spare pleather I had laying around I decided it would be much too hot. 

Instead, I ended up with a coffee colored pigskinsuede split from Tandy, thinking it would breathe more. According to the site it is a 1 – 1.5 oz hide and approximately 6 sq feet, although I feel like mine was closer to 4. For the pattern I used Butterick5695 because it was laying around in my stash. I knew all those 99 cent pattern sales I hoard would come in handy for something!

The first thing I did was create a mockup of the glove using some old pleather that I had left over from my batman-inspired dress.  At the end I had something that actually looked like a glove!  It was pretty cool.

First Glove Prototype Back

Red Sonja’s gloves have a pretty distinct flare to them, as well as a cutout.  The total flare of the cuff was determined by slashing and spreading the prototype, then filling in the space with masking tape.  The total circumference ended up being just shy of 15 inches.

First Glove Prototype Cuff

The only other modification I made to the Butterick pattern was to shorten the thumbs by 1/4″.

When laying out the pattern I was trying to lay the fourchettes on the thinnest part and the cuffs/gauntlets on the thickest.  This might have make a small difference, but to be honest the whole hide is pretty thick so it was still difficult to sew.

Red Sonja Glove Layout

Even with glove needles sewing the fourchettes in was very very tough. I was able to do machine sewing on some of it, but the corners and finger tips had to be hand sewed.  Even using a three-sided glove needle and thimble, this took forever!

Red Sonja Glove Fingers

I’m really pleased with the way the cutouts came out.  For the cuffs, I used fusible interfacing on the lining (which was a polyester whatever from Joann), then reinforced the cutout with another piece of interfacing after I folded the edges in. The Lining was sewn to the top edge after the rest of the glove was constructed, then turned to the inside.  I sewed around the cutout to keep the lining and outer cuff together, then very carefully trimmed the leather on the outside.

Red Sonja Glove Cuff - Lining Cutout CloseupRed Sonja Glove - Lining Cutout Interfacing CloseupRed Sonja Glove Cuff - Lining Cutout FinishedRed Sonja Glove Cuff Lining

Overall I’m pleased with how they came out. The fingers are not as even as I would like them to be, but once they are on the flaws don’t show as much. I mean.. I made GLOVES! For some reason that is so much more satisfying than the normal things I make.

The “glove stand” is just a piece of foam board with a cut up pool noodle from the dollar store hot glued to it.

Red Sonja Glove Finished Back Red Sonja Glove Fist Red Sonja Glove Inside Cuff Red Sonja Gloves Finished Back

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *